February 2013 Update
While things may seem extraordinarily quiet on the Gateway Green front, there's actually a lot going on these days.
- The Friends of Gateway Green (FoGG) board is negotiating a formal agreement with Portland Parks and Recreation, defining the roles and responsibilities of each as the project moves toward development.
- ODOT is in the process of getting the property declared "surplus right-of-way" and the City has started the Environment Assessment, part of its "due diligence" process required before property is acquired by the city.
- FoGG is working, once again, with Oregon Solutions. This time we are exploring a specific funding opportunity called "crowdfunding". We hope to share more about this soon.
- FoGG board members continue to write and submit grant applications -- seeking funding for various elements of the project.
- In addition, we are exploring options that might enable us to develop a more detailed plan for the site, possibly as early as this summer.
In the meantime, we invite you to participate in some upcoming events:
First, Gateway Green will be one of several clean-up sites for the annual SOLVE IT Earth Day event -- Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 9 am til noon. Come help clean up the site.
Second, FoGG will have an entry in the Gateway Fun-O-Rama Parade on Saturday, May 18th. It's a short parade (about 3/4 of a mile). We're assembling a group of Gateway Green supporters to walk or bike in the parade. We need walkers to carry the banner, and others to hand-out brochures to parade watchers -- plus a group to ride/walk along behind the banner. The parade starts at 1pm, but parade participants are asked to assemble by noon. The parade ends by 2 pm at 111th Square, where the Gateway Fun-O-Rama Community Fair is being held.
Third, a "Geology 101" tour at the site has been tentatively scheduled - Monday, April 22, 2013 from 10:00 am to 11:30 am. Details to be posted later.
Please join us at one or more of these events.